Neither the Coalition nor its member agencies will endorse candidates.
(Un)Forum – an online local candidate forum
The (un)forum 2019 is a virtual candidate forum coordinated by The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro in partnership with six diverse organizations: Carrboro Business Alliance; Chapel Hill Alliance for a Livable Town (CHALT); Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce; Home Builders Association of Durham, Orange, and Chatham Counties; NEXT; and the Orange County Affordable Housing Coalition. Instead of a traditional, in-person candidate forum, we are using a dynamic digital platform, called ShineBiG, to engage candidates in conversations, which will be shared widely through our social networks. All candidates who filed for Chapel Hill Mayor or Town Council, Carrboro Mayor or Board of Aldermen, Hillsborough Mayor or Board of Commissioners, or Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education were invited to participate in the (un)forum and respond to up to five questions:
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, the Orange-Chatham Group of the Sierra Club, and the Orange County Affordable Housing Coalition have launched the (Un)forum – a virtual, viral local candidate forum. All 15 candidates who filed for the Chapel Hill Mayor, Town Council, Carrboro Mayor, and Board of Alderman races were invited to participate and respond to five questions, each in 90 seconds or less:
- Tell us about yourself, your background, your strengths, and why you think you are prepared to serve if elected.
- Tell us why you are running for office and what your top three priorities are (feel free to use some examples of what you would advocate for to bring your priorities to life).
- What three things will you do to make your community a great place to start and grow a business?
- What do you think could be done to grow the supply of affordable and workforce housing?
- What specific transportation improvements would you like to see over the next five years?
Chamber staff members offered technical support to all participants and provided support to several. The (un)forum technology automatically shuffles the order in which the candidates appear to foster a more level playing field. Our hope is that the (un)forum will allow our collective network of more than 100,000 to learn about the candidates, their positions, and their platforms in a format that is convenient and thoughtful.
- Go to
- Scroll through the questions and watch the candidate response videos
- Engage in conversation on twitter and facebook
OCAHC Candidate Survey
In late September, the Orange County Affordable Housing Coalition emailed an online survey to all candidates running in local elections. The questions combined check-box features and short narrative responses. We received 16 responses. The OCAHC hopes that this information will help educate voters on local candidates’ positions on affordable housing. Please click on the name of the candidate to view their responses.
Carrboro – Mayor
Carrboro – Board of Aldermen
Chapel Hill – Mayor
Chapel Hill – Town Council
Hillsborough – Mayor
Hillsborough – Town Commissioners